How long are sessions?
Sessions are 50 minutes in length
How many sessions will I need to attend?
- The average number of sessions is 6 to 8
- Some problems may be more complex and need more time
- You may also decide to keep coming to sort out other issues so it really depends on what you want from the counselling
- Throughout the counselling we will review whether the conversations are being helpful for you and heading in the direction that you want
How often do I need to attend?
- Appointments are usually weekly initially but many people opt to come fortnightly for a while before stopping counselling
How much do they cost?
Individuals, couples and families are all charged the same rate of £50 per 50 minute session. I ask that sessions are paid in advance.
During the next few months I am offering to reduce my fee to £35 per session for those severely financially impacted by the Coronavirus pandemic.
My partner doesn't want to come for counselling, could I still benefit from relationship counselling?
Having counselling together is a good opportunity to understand each other better. However, if your partner does not want to come, it would still be useful for you to consider your part in what is going on and be able to make your own positive changes.
Is relationship counselling effective?
- Most people benefit a great deal
- There's a feeling of relief that problems are being addressed, there's a greater understanding, ideas and tips on how to change things for the better, a chance to experiment and talk about how the changes are going, an opportunity to have support in making big decisions
- My training has been NICE approved for the NHS to use for couples and depression
- Not everyone benefits. For some people it may not feel like the right time to make changes. You may need to make decisions that you don't feel ready to make
- Couples and family counselling is not suitable when there is on-going domestic abuse in the relationship.
Do you offer Marriage Guidance?
- Couples counselling or relationship counselling is what used to be termed 'Marriage Guidance'
- The term changed to reflect that the approach is helpful for committed relationships whether or not you are married. It is also helpful for other family relationships
- 'Guidance' also implies the giving of advice. In counselling there will be lots of tips about what other people have found helpful but I won't be telling you want you should do.
Which family members can come for family counselling?
- Family counselling in my practice is usually two people, perhaps a mother and daughter or a father and son or two siblings.
- Children need to be over 12 years of age. I would need to be able to work face-to-face rather than over webcam to work with people between 12 and 18. So I'm not currently working with children and young people during the pandemic.